Please join the AgingWell Hub and Business for Impact at Georgetown University’s McDonough School of Business, with Santander Bank and AARP, for a virtual Forum exploring the business opportunities and personal financial risks at the intersection of the U.S. aging population, technology, and financial services.
Finance, Technology, and Aging: Profit, Peril, and Innovation
Date: Thursday, December 2, 2021
Time: 10:30 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. ET – Virtual
About the Forum
Population aging ranks as one of the most significant forces impacting the economy and society at large. The size of the U.S. population aged 65 and older is projected to nearly double by 2060 – growing to 95 million. Baby Boomers alone are estimated to own more than half of total U.S. household financial assets, and are a huge source of consumer spending. While these demographic trends present growth opportunities for industries participating in the longevity economy, they also pose serious challenges to the financial security and wellbeing of people who are aging.
Older adults are more vulnerable to financial exploitation, including scams online and in the real world. As many of the nation’s older adults live on modest retirement income and savings, one incidence of financial fraud can propel them into poverty.
At our Forum, leading experts in aging, brain health, fintech, and financial services will discuss the intersection of the economic opportunities presented by our aging population and the financial risks that confront older adults, as well as explore innovative enterprise solutions that can help aging adults – and their caregivers – protect against those risks.
Speakers and Panelists
- Staci Alexander, Vice-President, Thought Leadership, Policy, Research & International Affairs, AARP
- Lisa Bleier, Managing Director & Associate General Counsel, Securities Industry and Financial Markets Association (SIFMA)
- Jilenne Gunther, National Director of BankSafe Program, AARP
- Vijeth Iyengar, PhD, Brain Health Lead & Technical Advisor to the Deputy Assistant Secretary for Aging, Administration for Community Living/Administration on Aging, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Hiral Patel, Head of Sustainable & Thematic Investing, Barclays Bank
- Ian Sheridan, Co-Founder & Managing Director, Vestigo Ventures
The AgingWell Hub is committed to harnessing the power of business and cross-sector collaboration to help individuals of all generations age well, with a special focus on the nexus of financial security, good health, and connected communities.Click edit button to change this text.
Business for Impact unleashes the power of business to help people and the planet thrive. We strive to help solve today’s most pressing problems through delivering world-class education, impactful student experience, and direct action with corporations, nonprofits, and government. Our aspiration is that Georgetown-educated leaders will be renowned for managing the triple bottom line – people, planet, and profit.